Thursday, June 25, 2009

...seeds of the future

there were a bunch of grapefruit on my dwarf tree this winter...
but it was so dry that most fell off before swelling with juice...
only a couple were edible, & they were a bit tart...
but I did get some seeds...and one actually sprouted...



only this one stayed on the tree...
drinking in the frequent waterings...
and a few days ago, I picked it...

it did not disappoint...



it peeled easily with even the section skin coming off easily...



the taste was sweet & mellow...
and quite juicy...
with a bonus of several seeds...



which I planted in the pot with this seedling...
planted a couple of months ago...
which now has 4 leaves...

I don't know if it will survive...
if the other seeds will sprout...
or if they do, would they ever bear fruit...
but it sure makes something in me smile...
to see the seeding growing...
beating all the odds...

No comments: