Thursday, June 25, 2009

...garden update, 2.0.1

sometimes, I could swear that my garden grows right before my eyes...



the lovely rabbit's paw fern that flourishes on the front porch...
started out just like this one in the back...
last fall I put 3 or 4, 4" HD plants into this basket...
and now in its new home on the driveway fence...
in the back yard, under the oaks, it is happily growing...
though its cousin on the front is at least 4 years old...
and as a result, much bigger with more "paws"...



I spied this reddening peach by accident...



and near it, this one...



I haven't had a decent crop for several years & these are big...
they usually ripen in late July but they may be early this year...
I'll have to consult my gardening expert to see if that's true...
so I can actually have some for me this year...
I don't mid sharing, but some critters are greedy...
eating the ripening fruit right on the tree, leaving only a pit...



this really pleases me...3 Fuji apples...
there are 2 together lower left & 1 upper right...
can you see them ?
I've never had apples from this tree...
the few that set were critter food...
so I'm hoping...



here's an eggplant...
there are several more spent blooms...
that look hopeful...



and I've been looking, but only found this today [6/22]
a green bean...and good sized too...
hopefully more soon...



and the best, saved for last...
a reddening tomato...
WHOOO HOO...

this makes all the pain of planting worth it...!

2 comments:

The Calico Quilter said...

Hope you beat everyone to the peaches. I never got a single peach from my tree, nor a grape from the arbor - birds and squirrels took the lot. I lost the peach tree to a windstorm and the grape arbor to an unidentified insect that burrowed through the main stem and killed the vine. It didn't affect my net garden yield, but I miss them.

catsinger said...

...hi Calico, I just picked some pretty ripe peaches because the rats have been nibbling... not as sweet as they could get, but several were already ravaged...