Monday, June 8, 2009

...news from La Mancha

unfortunately...
there is no good news on the job front...
the message I get is to wait...

and since I spent most of the last week+...
laid-up with some virus & a bad back...
waiting was all I could do...

there are plants to be planted, before they give up...
the propane tank on my grill is out of fuel...
the house is badly in need of cleaning...
as well as seeming very empty since Mattie's gone...

but the virus is gone...and my back is better...
the choir's on hiatus & there's music to put away...

LOTS of stuff on my plate...

but for now...
a walk through the garden...
because it's growing by the moment...



the fence flower box seems to be doing well...
[the drip is actually working again...]



the trumpet vine is in full sway...
even trimmed back...
if I don't cut it back...
it takes over the whole driveway...



the mint has grown several inches...
I'll have to harvest some soon...



the eggplants have numerous blooms...



and the squash & cukes have settled in well...



the peppers are also about to bloom...



and the beans...



are climbing everywhere...



the tomatoes are growing fast...
with even the smallest of the sets...
having at least tripled in size...



and the set tomatoes are growing...
these are the size of golf balls already...
though we need warmer nights for all the blooms to set...



the cherry tomato vines have exploded...



and while the others want more heat to set...
the cherries have set and are almost ready to ripen...



I have found 3 apples, bigger than a golf ball...



and there are lots of peaches about the same size...
they'll be ripe in late July...



the pom. tree is covered with blooms and buds...



some still closed tight...



others, opening...



a few that have set !



and some that fell off...



the muscat grape vine is climbing...
I haven't gotten grapes from it yet...



a "volunteer" hollyhock comes up in the beans...



the rest come back a different color each year...
the original seed from the ranch was deep red...



miracle of miracles, a tangerine...
high up in the tree that rats stripped the bark from...
almost killing it...
this is the first fruit in years...



the ferns I moved, etc, last fall are thriving in their new spot...
giving me pause to want to sit & rest...
absorbing all the greens...

but...



there's all the stuff I need to do...

and this pile...

is the mystery pile...stay tuned...

2 comments:

The Calico Quilter said...

It is so calming and heartening to look at all of your pictures of green things thriving. How pleasant it must be to sit in your back garden among it all. I know it seems to lower my blood pressure to just look out the back door at my flower garden (although watering and fertilizing yesterday definitely raised it!).

catsinger said...

...I especially enjoy the tomato aroma
that hangs heavy in the warm sunshine...

I remember, when I once had a plot of corn near my bedroom...waking on a warm,full moon summer's night & becoming intoxicated with the aroma of the growing corn...& looking outside, in the bright moonlight, I could swear it was growing...even as I watched... the whole earth was singing its creative song...