Tuesday, November 27, 2007

...things I've found in my mailbox...

Happy Things... : )

...a tax refund check [always a good thing...]
...a note or letter from a dear friend, far away
...my paycheck !
...a flower [when I was sick, a long time ago...]
...a LARGE can of Campbell's Chicken & Noodle soup [actually, on my doorstoop, but close...also a long time ago...]
...a long-awaited package !
...a check for over $150 from one of those "class action suits" against some company you dealt with,'way back when and you filled-out the card the lawyer sent to you, never dreaming it would be more than the $10 or so it usually is...
...a check for over $600 from the creep who took your $ and didn't install the whatever...[the state Contractors Licencing Board was on his butt..]

Not -So-Good things... : P

...yet another "scholarship campaign" letter from VOPU [Very Over-Priced University] reminding me that I still had the "opportunity" to 'be a part' of the fund-raising activities...
...an un-solicited package, from a "club" I already cancelled my membership in, containing something I will have to pay for if I don't send back....
...another "you have been pre-approved for credit" letter...
...another "this is your last chance to extend your vehicle warranty" letter [they've sent at least 15 over the last year]
...another "we're sure our previous offer of mortgage insurance has escaped your attention" letter [I noticed them as I threw them away...]
...another "offer" to redo my mortgage [I only get these for the 1st 6 months or so just AFTER I refi...]
...anything, at all , from Publishers Clearinghouse...
...those sneaky "your subscription is about to expire" letters from companies you don't have a subscription with [if you respond, you end up with 2 short subscriptions to the same mag...don't ask how I know this...]
...any letters including the words : "summons" & "jury duty", or "grand jury duty"
...any letter from any municipal or state law enforcement agency containing the words, "traffic violation" & "failure to appear" , along with a large, specified sum of money owed
...the bill, for services rendered for home repairs, by any plumber, electrician or the like...
...all correspondence containing any of the following phrases : " we have not yet received your payment.../we're sure this is an oversight.../if you've already sent in your payment, please ignore this".../if you haven't sent in your payment, please use the enclosed envelope..."
...chain letters

Really Bad Things : (

...any letter from the IRS that includes the words : "audit your tax return"...[2 times for me... yuck]
...ditto ,State Franchise Tax Board [ 0 times, but they piggyback onto the Fed...]
...a letter informing you that you are included in the group of defendants named in a lawsuit...
..."dear so & so, [I think we need to see other people/ it's not you ,it's me/ I hope we can always be friends/I love you, just not the way you love me/you're like a sister to me] ARGH !!!
...notification that someone you care for is dead
...all the subsequent reminders of your grief from all the agencies that have to be notified [sometimes, more than once...] and sent copies of the death certificate,letters and filled-out claim forms[deceptive at best...]which must be notarized and returned yesterday...
...just when you thought it was over,a bank statement, claiming an account you closed months ago is now overdrawn...
...your Pap test showed "undisclosed problems" and you need to schedule another one...
...your biopsy results show a malignant anything...
...a reminder of your root-canal procedure...
..."we regret to inform you that _____ Company has chosen not to renew your contract for the next year" [in other words,'get out !'
..."we regret to inform you that you were not selected to fill the position of _______, your background and skills do not meet our present needs".... ['way too many times...]

No comments: