Wednesday, November 28, 2007

...gifts from the garden

....I went out, into the backyard to put away some cushions, take down the umbrella, cover the patio furniture for winter
....and then I saw it... I had seen it earlier in the day, while looking out the window as I talked on the phone with MM....hanging there, it's ruby skin glowing in the late afternoon sun, the pomegranate that had been too high to reach a month ago when I gathered them in
...and now, I saw it again, split open from rain, its' deeply red ariels glowing against the pithy membranes
....before, it had been too high, too small, too much trouble to bother with, but now, seeing that its' persistence had borne such a rich bounty....I had to have it !
...slowly , I made my way through the thicket to the foot of the tree
...carefully, so as not to injure my young tree, I pulled the thick branch down , until the prize was mine
.... I popped a couple of the red jewels in my mouth and, oh, what delight !... the extra month on the tree had sweetened the fruit as only a tree ripening can...it was sweet, mellow, luscious... not at all the too tart we often just put up with
...I'm saving it, to share...something this special should be shared with others who would appreciate it as I do, and I know just who they are...

No comments: