Monday, November 19, 2007

...dry rot,old moulding and a lovely stained glass window









...the skilled craftsman/carpenter came again today, much like Santa, his visits are much anticipated and when he leaves, so many "good things" remain behind...today, he framed and put in my stained glass window where the old window AC had been...using just scraps from his truck, he copied the existing window/door trim[butt-joint corners,inset "shelf,angled moulding cap w/mitered corners] it looks perfect ! I have seen Craftsman bungalows with stained glass above the built-ins around the fireplace and that's what this looks like...he got the balance/ratio perfectly matched to the existing trim....unfortunately ,while doing paint-prep, I had found DRY ROT in a French door window sash[water damage] and had dug out the crumbly,dry mess, taking out 3 pieces of moulding[80 year old trim...] and hollowing-out a small area of the bottom of the window frame...so, I went outside to see if the damage went all the way through and, of course it did...so I cleaned out that and removed the bottom glazing from the bottom 2 courses of window panes on the 1st French door,the middle one was OK,as it was a real door[no glazing], but the far door was as messed-up as the first[glazing-wise], so I removed the bottom 2 courses there too.... then J arrived, and seeing my consternation[ dry rot will do that to you...], he agreed that the re-glazing, rot hunting and repair was the priority today...he cleaned off the outside bottom mouldings,scraped them, [no rot,hurray !], re-glazed 12 window panes, further cleaned out the rot hole and used caulking sealant everywhere possible [including inside the rot hole]...while he was doing that,the S.C./C. had finished the window [did I say it looks great ? it does !] so we called the lumber yard to try to find a replacement for the 80 year old moulding that was now "toast"...once we confirmed they had some, I went on a "field trip" to South Mudville to get the moulding... when I got there, the man handed me "quarter round"[the toe moulding you use on floors], I said,"...uh, no..."...then he offered me a flat moulding, again, I said..."no"... then I spied a piece of moulding that was sort of "V' shaped...what I wanted was wedge-shaped,... I held my small piece of old moulding next to the "V" shaped stuff... it was the same size as mine on both sides and could be cut down so it would "work"..[if this is beginning to remind you of "The 3 Bears", that's exactly how I felt...] so I got a piece about 5' long and brought it back to the wonderful S.C/C who cut it to an almost perfect match, replaced the 3 pieces I had "lost"to rot, nailed them in place and made me a few extras out of the rest...what a guy ! so thanks to Mr. S.C./C and J., it's been a day of progresses and little victories, here, in the "money pit" I call home...and did I say how great that window looks ? It surely does !

2 comments:

Miz Minka said...

We'll have to work on getting pictures up for posts like this one. :) Glad you're making so much progress on the 'money pit.'

catsinger said...

...the only question is...am I making progress getting things done, or am I making progress throwing money in the "pit" ?...forget Hamlet, THAT is the question...