Friday, November 23, 2007

...and you thought the Bumpus' dogs were bad...

....as I write this, at 12:20 AM, I'm surrounded by the true turk-o-philes in my life, Macky, Lucyfur, Mattcatt, Thomas, MJ, Sneaky Pie and, of course Gracie [who is actually eating crunchies, a probable protest of the closure of the bathroom door (her favorite haunt), when I was gone...I returned after midnight with remnants of the glorious repast I shared with Miz Minka and Mr Greenthumb today and really planned on preparing "kitty turkey feast" tomorrow....but as soon as the bags were in the house, it was life, imitating art [if you consider Cat-mas Carols art...] first, it was Sneaky into the bag with the turkey scraps...I no sooner shooed her away when Thomas got a wiff and began crying piteously and pestering me as I tried to carry the bags into the kitchen without tripping over him, as he wound himself in and out between my feet.....soon, as I attempted to store left over dressing, etc...I was constantly running from 'fridge to counter, fending off another "attack" on the bag containing the bag of "kitty scraps"...so I gave up...I stashed most of the food in the fridge, but cut up the scraps from the bag [ tail,neck,skin,fat etc] and came up with a full plate which I divided onto 2 plates and stepped back...a good move because the last time I saw felines move in that fast and eat with that much gusto,it was a pride of starving lions that had bagged an antelope on the Serenghetti being shown on the Discovery Channel.....what few small scraps that still remain now are being enjoyed by Thomas and Sneaky Pie,[the others are full...], they sit , opposite each other,at separate plates, chewing, each watching the other for a false move, [this is closer than they generally get without general mayhem...]...and now, even they are full.....tomorrow, I will strip the carcass and another major feast or two will ensue... All day today, Minka was so well behaved around the food, never even seemed too interested... the moment the merest scent of turkey hit my little herd's noses, it was "open season" [with me merely the "provider"]...I'm going to bed after an extremely nice and "fun" day....I can't remember when I've had such a good Thanksgiving ...marvelous food, lots of good conversation, lots of laughter and very good company... my heartfelt thanks to Miz Minka, Mr Greenthumb and Minka [the cat who hid all day...] for their generous hospitality...it was all a very good thing ...and to all , a good night !

4 comments:

Miz Minka said...

"..I can't remember when I've had such a good Thanksgiving"...nor do we! :)

Minka is back out of hiding and running around like a bat-out-of-you-know-where, all playful and energetic. Too much pent up energy from hiding in her cat tree cubby hole all day yesterday, methinks. :)

If I make it into Mudville today (not sure), I'll drop off your turkey gravy -- if not, then we'll bring it to rehearsal tomorrow.

catsinger said...

....many thanks for the kind words...I guess my "right brain" was so overcome with the "big picture",[much like your spectacular photography], the you got the "thank you" verbal equivalent of "wow"... perhaps the now, full moon is finally getting to the "well-rested" Minka... I was pounced on and terrorized by the pissed-off Piglet ALL night...I finally "freed "her about 7:30 AM and got a couple of hours of sleep... I'm about to tackle "turkey deconstruction" which will be accompanied by shameless feline begging, leg weaving and pitiful crying... don't worry about the gravy, it's wonderful "tag-team" gravy, but tomorrow is soon enough... I just realized this AM that somehow I've lost about 25 lbs in the last few weeks...knowing me, I'll probably find them before long....

Miz Minka said...

I hope the hordes don't trip you.

Minka played with her new mouse toy this a.m. -- with great abandon, I might add! She's such a little snit.

Congratulations on those missing 25 lbs! Tell them to stay lost, and keep doing what you're doing. :)

catsinger said...

...I guess with Minka, I'll just have to play "ignore the cat"... BTW, Thomas was a noisy pest ,but didn't trip me[I kept tossing him bits to shut him up while I was deconstructing...I should have cooked that turkey at least 40 mins longer...way down next to the bones, it wasn't quite done, but then ,that became cat food anyway, the part we ate was ok...