Tuesday, January 15, 2008

...cooking... and being fed

I enjoy cooking...I've spent many an hour
watching cooking shows on the Food Network...
and learned a lot while being entertained...

among the things that I've learned is that,
I am a cook...not a baker...
and even my life-long enjoyment of all carbs can't help me here...
it's just that cooks and bakers are different people...

we cooks are those who follow recipes for the basic "method" only...
we find inspiration and ideas everywhere...
a whiff or taste of the current "project" may send us
scurrying to the pantry, the herb garden or the store...
looking for that elusive taste or smell that's "missing"from the pot...

a fortunate addition of fresh grated nutmeg to any cream sauce
or pot containing dark, leafy greens
is an example of "gleaned" knowledge from TV chefs...
the addition of good sherry or brandy to a tomato sauce, soup,
gravy or stew is another...

most recently, the addition of dill weed to my pea soup,
which also contains kielbasa sausage
and a bit of nutmeg to go with the kale...
was the most happy of "hunches"...
producing a buttery, delicious "different flavor from the "usual"...

I am not, however, a baker...
I can soldier on... producing cookies, pies, ect..
they are edible, but not delectable... it's just not my thing...

I have a friend, however, who is very much a baker...
her attention to detail and ability to be precise,
in measurements and following recipes far outstrips mine...

when I've tried to explain how I cook "in the moment"...
I can tell it's "not her way"... she wants detailed instructions
because that's how "bakers" do it...
and her baked goods are wonderful...
cookies, bread... and German pancakes...

she makes really good German pancakes...
I've watched her be precise in her method
and they are wonderful, every time...

I would probably want to "add" something
that would interfere with the exact chemical process
that is baking...
and I would not be as successful as she is...

I have another friend that I also enjoy cooking with...
he is that combination of precision in method
and following the recipe ... as well as being able to
let his taste or nose lead him in new directions...

I enjoy cooking and sharing our creations with both of them...
the preparation is fun and often playful...
but it is the moment of shared fellowship,
when we give thanks for our food and the time to share it,
and the moments of sharing the efforts of our labors,
that are truly special...

there is something so satisfying about making food
that not only fills the stomach, but also feeds the soul...
my new favorite film, Babette's Feast, is about that...

we often think of those who eat as the ones being satisfied...
but, it is also the cooks and the bakers,
who prepare the food with love,
that are nourished as well as those who eat it...

it satisfies and "fills" our Father, as He watches us...
consume the bounty He sets before us...
to enjoy His gifts, carefully crafted for our pleasure and delight...
to share in our appreciation of the love He shows in the crafting...

how can we not, then, partake of His efforts on our behalf...?
to enjoy the rich bounty He spreads daily...
the fellowship of those He sends to share it with us...
and then thank Him, for all His love shown to us...

the feast is ready...
the table is spread...
all is prepared...
where are the guests ?

No comments: