Tuesday, July 7, 2009

...the peaceable kingdom

Creamer is still at the vets...
probably through the end of the week...
she'll come home when her diarrhea abates...
but the week she's been gone has had an unexpected effect on us all...



yesterday morning, about 7 AM when I ventured out of the bedroom...
I noticed a strange calmness in the house...
as I looked into the LR/DR, I saw Molly...
still sleeping in her crate...
but I also observed Lucyfur & Mackie...



laying in a patch of sunshine on the runner...
washing each others faces...
then rolling about in playful frolic...
Thomas was stretching & sauntering in my direction...
but quietly... past Sneaky Pie...
who paused to rub heads with him [her sworn enemy...]
looking like good buddies as they strolled together...

MJ was rubbing my ankles...
Cagney & Charlie were lobbying for an early breakfast...
but NO ONE... was hissing, growling or being a butthead...
and then I realized that the corrosive element that was missing...
was Creamer...

she hadn't always been so crabby...
but had gotten much worse in the last month...

swatting & yowling at anyone who came close...
creating an atmosphere of fear & malice...
so now that she'd been gone a while...
even old enemies were so relieved...
that they were now getting along...

I knew that I was glad to not have to always look where I was stepping...
for fear of stepping on her...
or in one of the puddles she'd leave everywhere...

it was nice not to have to carry paper towels & cleaning spray...
when ever I walked through the house...
the rest of the gang could actually walk through the utility porch...
to the cat boxes without stepping in something nasty...
I could do laundry without disinfecting the floor first...

and it was so nice to not hear...
the constant conflict seeping through my bedroom door...

so I decided to make some changes before "she" returns...

I borrowed a 30" x 30" x 18" cat cage from a friend...
Creamer will have her own space, safe from all interlopers...
[real & imagined...]

she'll have her proper food, water, a bed & a litter box...
she'll be where she can survey everything that goes on...
without being able to continue her "reign of terror"...

she'll feel secure & have the proper food to get better...
the rest of the kitties won't bother her...
[they only reacted to her crabbiness, anyway...]
Molly won't get her nose clawed anymore...
the other kitties will continue to be the "get along gang"...
and I won't be constantly brokering peace...
as well as cleaning up nasty messes...

perhaps then the Corona virus will work its way through...
and won't reinfect anyone else...

it would be nice to be able to not have to watch...
as any more of my friends, sicken & die, long before their time...

No comments: