Thursday, July 2, 2009

...garden update, 1.3

spent the entire day outside yesterday...
enjoying the light breeze and moderate weather...
after enduring the heat wave last weekend...



the driveway fence boxes look SO good...
they're filling in well & the watering system WORKS !

so after mowing the lawn...

no small matter, as it involved discovering & disposing of...
the quite dead possum in my garage, next to the mower...
[fortunately, I was putting out the trash anyway...]
then, having just enough gas to get through the thick grass...
without going on a gas buying expedition...

and did I mention that it was after 10 AM...?
so it was pretty bright out there...
not hot, just BRIGHT...

I will tan OK, but the light hurts my eyes...

& even with sunglasses, I get headaches...

that accomplished, I turned to the front porch...
with its messes & problems to solve...



I got this to help solve one of them...



these two hanging geraniums had a bad spring...



and now need to have more potting soil added to their baskets...
[the moisture saver kind with MG plant food added...]
and some rocks on top of that to help keep the new soil IN the baskets...

this will involve climbing ladders & getting dirty...



I spent several hours planting portulacas...
and moving them to the front...
they languish in the shade & needed to be in the sun...



I also planted these crimson dianthus, blue lobelia & white allyssum...
I still have some more of these to plant...
as well as some petunias & begonias...
but I really have to clean off the porch first...



here you see a small lantana, next to the gardenia...



and another,["Radiation", I think...] hiding where a small azalea died...
it can get very bright & hot here, at least for a few hours...
but it's morning sun that's gone by 2 PM...
and lantanas flourish in bright sun...



and a nice surprise !

the newer grapefruit seeds I stuck into the pot...
are sprouting !
if you look closely, you can see 2 seedlings & a sprout just opening...
what fun ! a mini grapefruit grove...

and saving the best for last...



more peaches...
and 4 tomatoes...
2 Brandywine pinks & 2 Ace...

yumm...

2 comments:

Mousie and Christy's Mommy said...

I could practically taste those tomatoes! What a great crop...of flowers, fruit and veggies!

catsinger said...

...hi M&CM... it's a good thing I picked the peaches I did, which were less than half of what WAS on the tree... yesterday, they were ALL gone... the rats got them...
I'm letting the tomatoes sit for a bit... the hot spell caused a lot to set, so the vines hare covered...