Monday, March 23, 2009

...spring garden quiz, 1.1

I opened my 1st spring garden quiz with this...



it looked better before the hailstorm...

no one guessed what it is...yet...



it is on this plant, now leafed-out & blooming...
[# 8 on the first quiz...]

one more clue...



here are the blooms... got it now ?



this was #1... any guesses ?
[people like it's namesake fried, with ketchup...]



these weren't out enough to be on the first quiz...



everyone should know these...



this was #3 & has survived the hail...
[clue : in the song, they're "pink"...]



also much more leafed-out... #4...
[clue: I didn't get them sprayed & they have "leaf curl"...]



these won't really be out until around Easter...
[#5...a Southern favorite...]



also #5, & the blooms are white...



this "furry pawed" plant comes in many colors...



it was #6, and it's marsupial namesake can be "pugilistic"...



#7 has red leaves year round...



I have a number of different varieties...



I'm really surprised that no one got #9...
since it looks exactly like itself...
from the first unfolded "wee" leaf...
[extremely subtle clue...]



this was # 10...this exact cluster...
they eventually have blooms like these...



can you name this variety ?
[I ONLY like pink on roses...& other flowers...]



this one grows next to the lilac...



there can be an upside to NOT pruning your roses...



although I must admit to having cut them back in October...
& this is my reward...



#12 is out farther now...



this was #13, this cluster...



this one is farther along...



this one is "out"...any guesses ?



this was NOT on the first quiz...



it's my biggest plant...
and getting ready to bloom...
and scatter those awful dangle-y things all over...
I'll be sweeping them up for months...



this wasn't on the first quiz either...



it's blooming for only the third year...



it has such a lovely shape...
someday it'll be a mass of blossoms each spring...

I hope you enjoyed the spring garden quiz, 1.1...
leave your guesses in the comments...
and happy gardening !

No comments: