Wednesday, March 17, 2010

...a nice surprise

when dealing with large utility companies...
[large companies of any kind, really...]
I have often been frustrated by what they don't tell you...



there is always more[in the extra fine print] than you missed...
or they "grandfathered-in"after you agreed to something else...

in December, facing possible bankruptcy...
I called my home security company of 20 + years, ADT...
to cancel my long-standing service contract...



the helpful customer service rep[almost an oxymoron]...
informed me that since I paid quarterly, I could "skip" a quarter payment...
and that in March, I could call and lower my rate...

so when I was notified of the impending quarterly statement...
I called to get a lower rate...

they needed to confirm my identity, but try as I might...
I had NO idea what my 20+ year old password was...
nor even who my local emergency contacts were then...
I later remembered one of them, but they've been out of town for 14 years...

so the rep I spoke to said that they couldn't make any changes...
without the proper clearance and that they would send me a letter...
containing forms to set-up a new password & local contacts on my account...
so I waited... about 2 weeks... nothing...

except the quarterly bill for $96.33, which I can't afford...
but can't change until I fill-out the forms I don't yet have...

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm......

so today, I called again...

I had to wait a couple of minutes on hold, but not too long...
the "hold" electronic music "loop" was annoying...
but the "southern accent"of the rep was reassuring...
[and no, it was not a southern India accent, that's what was reassuring...]

I told my story to the rep., who verified everything on her computer...
"yes", the verification letter is coming...
but they are backed up and I may not get it until just before the bill is due...

she went to check-out something with her supervisor...
then told me that they had to wait...
for the verification letter to be returned...
before changing my rate...

but...

she had been authorized by her manager...
to remove the monthly service/replacement fees backdated to February 26...
& because I was such a long time customer...
and the letter was taking so long to reach me...
to change my current $96.33 statement to a one-time $54.22...

and...


after I received the letter, I should call back...
using a code in the mailing...
and they would permanently reduce my fees...
from $96.33 per quarter, to $66.00 per quarter...
which is below their lowest monthly advertised rate...



now I haven't had too many dealings with BIG companies...
who have been so helpful, much less offer to lower their rates...
and on their own initiative, too...
I didn't even have to threaten to cancel their service...

the rep told me that they were trying...
to help out their customers in these tight times...
by making it as easy as possible to keep their home security...
thereby creating a "win-win" situation for all concerned...

a good idea, whose time has certainly come...

so here's to cutting through the red tape...
and to the companies who allow us NOT to hate them...
may there be many more of them in days to come...
and may they all prosper due to their civility & generosity...

No comments: