Tuesday, March 23, 2010

...happy, happy, joy, joy !, update

last Wednesday, I wrote of my extreme good fortune...
[it was St.Paddy's Day, so maybe I have all my Irish ancestors to thank...]
but for whatever reason, I located, "a used, but like new"...
Yamaha 302 B bass recorder for $206.00...
[total price, including shipping, NO TAX...
the new ones run from $250-350...
NOT including shipping or TAX... which most required...]

I ordered it after noon on 3/17...
and it was delivered around 7:30 PM on 3/19[Friday]...
I did NOT pay for fast shipping...
the shipping cost was only $6.00 !...



the cases I'd seen were vinyl, but mine arrived in a canvas bag...
which is fine with me since the kitties tear-up anything leather or vinyl...
it is well padded and has compartments for the 3 parts of the instrument...
it did include the neck strap, joint grease & cleaning rod...
but no fingering chart, so I'm glad Trumpetman made me a copy of his...



it doesn't have fake wood grain, but is dark brown, not black...
and has several keys which I really need...



I will probably have the local woodwind guy make a few modifications...
I know I need a right thumb "grip" of some kind...
the neck strap does support it quite well...
but I need a thumb anchor for my right hand & the stump is too short...

I may discover an eventual need for adding a split key...
covering the right hand, ring finger, double hole...
this will depend on how I decide to anchor my thumb stump...

the thumb must remain anchored to give stability...
as well as consistency, to the movement of the fingers...
in covering open holes...
a double hole is even more problematic...
especially when the finger covering it is already extended...
but I'm sure that we can figure out an adaptation that will work for me...

but beyond all that, I'm very pleased with this purchase...
and look forward to learning to play it...
& then playing it in the consort...

happy, happy, joy, joy, indeed...

No comments: