Thursday, March 25, 2010

...Fluff tales



my friend Fluff[aka,"Fiona"...but she insisted on being,"Fluff"...]
has been my friend for almost 20 years now...
after spending a winter or 2, camping-out in the garage...
[her independent phase...]
she came into my bedroom one evening...
& has considered it, hers, ever since...

this past 6 months or so, she has gotten quite thin...
though she still has a good appetite & eats well...
I recognized the signs of old age compromising the kidneys & liver...
causing food to not be digested properly or completely...
eventually causing a system failure that brings death...

there's not much to do for it...
though I did switch her to a "Senior" formula of her favorites...
with the occasional, "Special Diet" formula added in...
[these tend to be much easier to digest...
putting much less strain on old systems...]

a couple of days ago...
I noticed her running back & forth...
to the litter box, all the time...
then she wasn't making it, stopping to pee where ever she was...

that's when I saw that her little bit of pee was pink...
NOT good...

I picked her up & she was very hot...

fortunately, she is NOT the first old cat I've taken care of...
and I had this on hand...



I don't normally avoid taking them to the vet when they are sick...
but she hates it... and I've known "crystals in the urine"...
[aka,"cystitis"] to cause the pink pee...
it could also be other problems but the infection...
that was causing her fever was what I was worried about...

so I mixed up some Clavamox & started medicating her yesterday morning...
as well as every 6 hours after that...[3 AM was fun...]
and I'm pleased to report that she appears better after only 24 hours...

the fever had dropped by last night, she was even cooler this morning...
she's NOT spending her life in the litter box [or in between...]
there has been NO more pink pee...
& it is obvious that she is feeling much better...

she even went outside yesterday afternoon, twice...
up & down the cat ramp...
she hasn't done that for a really long time...

and... she went back to sleeping in her nest...

she had been,"on the go",[pun intended...] so much...
that she was sleeping on my bed...

she has even been eating more of her food & complaining less...
so for now, things seem to be going very well in Fluffland...



well, almost...
as you can see, Fluff's return to "her" nest...
has renewed Piglet's interest in sleeping there...

when Fluff doesn't sleep there...
Pigs has NO interest in sleeping there herself...
but just let Fluff settle in for a nap...
and in swoops the Piglet...

truth be told, Pigs prefers to sleep, on top of Fluff...

and there's the rub... & the growling, & hissing, & fighting...
not to mention some pretty nasty name-calling...

*sigh*... CATS !!

I'm just happy that Fluff is feeling better...
and I suppose, so is Piglet...

No comments: