Monday, June 23, 2008

...several years journey...into light

light... a wonderful thing...
especially when you've lived in the shadows for years...


this is my new bedroom overhead light fixture...
plain... inexpensive... period correct...
and it WORKS...

before...[there was THIS light...]
there was this...
[quite a sight to see hovering over you...
like a giant bug... when you're half awake...]


to be completely fair... the fan/light DID work for years...
and was NOT covered with cobwebs then...
the light switch shorted out in summer,2006...
and I called my electrician...
"Mr Sparky"...

he was all set to install all my replacement lights...
then, tragically, he had to postpone work for several months
because his wife died...

he finally showed-up in December 2006...
when he hooked-up the new porch light,
dining room light and kitchen overhead...

he was supposed to return shortly to hook up
the new fan/lights for the office and bedroom...
then my Mom got very sick and died...
and I had to postpone things...

so he and I played phone tag... again......

but the delay actually worked out
for the best this time...
because...

in late Dec. 2006, my furnace died...
and the installation of the new heat/AC...
that would take 3 months...
ended my need for fan/lights...

so I got a couple of suitable fixtures...
to use instead of the fan/lights...
found a "home" for the now unwanted fan/lights...
and the phone tag began again...

did I mention that I had never paid the electrician
for the first installations ?
...in 2006 ?

so after several more,"tag, you're it" phone messages...
we finally got together last Friday...
along with his his daughter, [she's his "assistant"...he's semi-retired...]
and then... things happened quickly...


the two old fans came down, going into the trash...


leaving a lot of uncluttered ceiling ...

[at least someplace is uncluttered in this mess...]


and the 2 new lights were installed...
he also replaced the bad light switch in the bedroom...
tightened the porch light screws
that the awning installers had knocked loose last summer...
and charged me a total of $150 ...for everything...
including that which he did in 2006...

I first met Mr. Sparky almost 20 years ago...
when he redid most of the sub-standard [dangerous !]
wiring in my attic...
he's always been such a nice man ...
and so accommodating...
that dragging this light replacement project
out over almost 3 years...
was no problem for me...

"and God said, 'Let there be light'...and it was good..."

No comments: