Wednesday, June 25, 2008

...the continuing "Carol of the Cat"

the previous evening had seen Piglet...
[Queen of the Night...]
lurking "out & about" until 10-ish...

this wasn't a problem before...

before possums prowled the yard ...
invading my bedroom in search of food...
every time the window remains open after dark...

so Mz Queen of the Night's previous evening's activities...
had caused me to sit in vigilance...
standing guard by the open window...
for a couple of hours...
with painful pinched nerves...

alternately "shooing away" possums...
pondering WHY I had ever chosen to live with cats...
and "inviting" Ms Willful, ..."in"...
with a constant crescendo in the volume
of those "invitations"...

all this occasioned by the unfortunate timing...
of the "feeding of the Fluff"...
who is NOT amused when her dish is empty...

[Fluff... positioned pointedly...next to her heart's desire...]

Piglet... ever the opportunista ...
upon hearing the food being served early [5:30-ish]...
had oozed in... stuffed herself...
[after elbowing Fluff to the side...]
and swooped out...

to "disappear" into the evening...
until her MUCH later return...
WELL after her curfew...

so on this day, when she flitted in around 6:30...
[again elbowing Fluff out of the way ...]
so that she could, dine & dash...
I closed the window...

at first she was too busy stuffing her face
to notice... her now, incarcerated state...
all too soon ... she realized that she was not only "toast"...
but, horror of horrors... inside toast...

and the "song & dance" began...


at first...she just stared...
assuming... that I must have not noticed
that the window was closed...


then the "staring outside" began...
ears turned backwards to catch any sign
of movement from me...
and the muttering...
["I don't know WHY this window is closed...
there is still light...
and I need to be OUT...]


when it becomes obvious to "Herself"...
that expressions of longing to be "out"...
and mere mutterings ...
will NOT work this time...


she begins the annoyed demands...
["OUT... I DEMAND TO BE OUT !!!"
AND I WANT OUT NOW !!!]


this is repeated at various octaves, in several modes...
and at increasing decibel levels...
with not just a few invectives and bad words in "cat"...
ad infinitum...


finally... she accepts her fate...
resignation and despair overwhelm her...
but she continues to whine in total disbelief...
at my complete villainy...
["why are you SOOO mean to me... ?
I'm NEVER mean to you... I HATE you !...]

and Miss Fluff...ensconced in her nest...


finally has something to be amused about...

No comments: