Thursday, December 18, 2008

...a busy weekend

I have a really busy weekend...
so busy I'm starting today...

and it all takes place here...
St John, the Evangelist, Anglican Church...
in downtown Mudville...



today, after I run some errands...
and get my hair cut at 2:45, about 6 miles north...
[the Auto Center Car Wash...really, her salon is there...]
I have to rush back [3:30...RUSH...HA !]
to rehearse at 4 PM for a wedding I'm singing for...

I'm singing...
"The Wind Beneath My Wings" in the prelude...
"All I Ask of You"[Phantom] for the processional...
cantoring Psalm 23...
[that's chanting the verses & leading the response...]
leading the congregational singing...
of the Malotte's "Lord's Prayer" ...
& "One Bread, One Body" at communion...
and singing "Ave Maria"[Schubert]...in Latin...

that's a LOT of singing...
& it was all their idea...

my throat is rough & scratchy now...
so I'm flooding myself with water...
and hot Gypsy Cold Remedy Tea...
because I need to go through ALL of it today...
for the organist... & my sanity...

then I have to go to the store...
I need more tea bags...

the wedding rehearsal is Friday evening...

we'll have to do "All I Ask of You"...
to figure out how much of it to do...
it is the processional...
which is not too long a time...
especially since St John's doesn't have a really long aisle...

the song has 8 pages...

Saturday morning... will find me at the church early...
[after picking some lemons...]



the Lessons & Carols dress rehearsal is 9 AM-noon...
I'll be there by 8 AM... to plug-in the hot water for tea...
[for the break...tea is soothing to singer's throats...
there will also be lemons, honey, half & half & cough drops...
besides some cookies... nourishment, you know...]

I also need to make sure that the heat...
is on in the church as early as possible...
and that things are set-up & in place, ready to rehearse...
[silly me, I thought those days were behind me...]

the Altar Guild ladies will be doing their work...
and there will be some flowers for the wedding placed...
we'll go through a couple of pieces...
then "run" the service, with entrance & exit...until noon...
when we have to give way to the other choir for their rehearsal...

I will stagger home...I may remember to eat...

take massive amounts of Excedrin Back & Body...
drink a LOT of water...get ready for the wedding...
[I am vesting, so at least I don't have to worry...
about wearing other than "orchestra black"...
my black blazer/slacks/shoes & white turtleneck]

I'll probably return to the church about 2 PM...
for the 3 PM wedding...which, being a full mass...
but not a big crowd, should be over by 4...
[there's the Filipino 5:30 PM mass...
but I don't have to be there]

I may "need" to make an appearance at the reception...
but I don't know that now... I haven't been invited...
but may be expected...

eventually...I'll stumble home...
eat something & collapse...

I'll be at the church Sunday AM, around 8:30 AM, as usual...
to set up for the 9:15 rehearsal[10 AM service]
I'll get out the handbells for the Gospel Acclamation...
thankfully, I'm NOT the cantor this week...
[it's Super Sop's turn...]
I'll be grateful if I can even speak...
after all the rehearsal talking & solo singing on Saturday...

the service will be over around 11:15 AM...
and with NO rehearsal after church...
we will all go home to rest...
after setting up in the church of course...
because our "call" is 4 PM, vested, in the church...

since this will be our first chance to practice...
our standing/sitting cues with the "modesty screens" out of the way...
we'll do that...do some light warm-ups...
perhaps go through 2 pieces...
and be ready for the "rest" period...
[5-6 PM in the Guild Hall]

people who need a snack can have one...
restrooms, last minute music checks, drinks...
and just getting off our feet...

we'll line-up... go into the church...
lining up along the back wall and up both sides a ways...
from this position, we'll sing Palestrina's setting...
of the matin responsory, "I Look From Afar"...
with solo cantors[Tenorissimo, BLT & Wunderkind] & choir...

a tolling bell[played by moi] will lead us into the processional...
"Creator of the Stars of Night"...
the congregation joins in the final 3 of 6 verses...
and we are "off"...

after the 1st reading, the women of the choir...
sing M. Larkin's treble voices setting of "Adam lay ybounden"...
featuring a short solo [Super Sop] & a short duet[Hummingbird & Miz Minka]

after the 2nd reading... the choir sings the M. Lauridsen setting...
[in Latin] of "O Magnum Mysterium"...

after the 3rd reading...the choir sings V. Singh's setting of...
"Personet Hodie" with the Clavinova using a guitar stop...
and "strumming" chords...then there is a congregational hymn...

after the 4th reading...
the choir sings a lovely, accompanied setting...
of "Mary, Did You Know ?", arr.J. Schrader...
then there is a 2nd hymn...

after the 5th reading... the choir sings a magical setting of...
"Watchman, Tell Us of the Night" by J. Chorbajian...

after the 6th reading...the choir sings Rachmaninoff's setting...
of "Ave Maria" [in Latin]...

after the 7th reading...the choir joyously sings...
"Tomorrow, Shall Be My Dancing Day", J. Gardiner...
followed by the final congregational hymn...

after the 8th reading...the choir sings "The Christ Child"...
by W. Todd...a lovely accompanied setting of the manger scene...

after the 9th reading...the choir sings,"A Silent, Holy Night"...
by T. Fetke...with piano & obbligato flute...

after the blessing...we sing "Once in Royal David's City"...
with the first verse an acappella treble solo[Wunderkind]...
the choir singing the 2nd verse and the congregation...
joining in the 3rd as the choir recesses down the center aisle...
following the cross bearer... to end up where they started...
standing against the back wall and around the sides...
as we sing the final verse with choral descant...

then it's on to the Guild Hall...
for a spectacular dessert reception...
and finally, home to collapse...

but not too completely...

because on Wednesday night, Christmas Eve...
I'm leading caroling before both services...
[5 PM & 10 PM]
cantoring both services...
playing trumpet for both services...
and leading the choir at the later service...

I'll be home around midnight...

and looking forward to a nice...
peaceful & joyous, Christmas Day...
with dear friends...

4 comments:

The Calico Quilter said...

I'm an early morning mass person myself (traditional language Eucharist (Rite One), no choir, no music), but your post made me realize I how much I miss the choral music, especially on Christmas and other feast days. Your church is beautiful. My parish unfortunately has a very modern design (modern and Anglican don't go together, in my book).

catsinger said...

...you got that right, sistah... ;D

I love anything old and our church is over 158 years old... this building dates from 1892... it has such a wonderful feeling of peace inside...

wish you could be at our service...
it has often been a musical highlight for me... & I have been on records that won Grammys [I sang with the Chicago Symphony Chorus 1973-78]

The Calico Quilter said...

Any recordings online that we can sample? I would love to hear you sing.

catsinger said...

...no recent recordings...I was going to & missed the chance...now there is no accompanist...
besides...I'm just conducting Sunday Evening...can't really conduct & sing... ;D