Sunday, February 14, 2010

...a frenetic, but fruitful, Friday

it was a bright, sunny day in Mudville...
fluffy clouds, tinged with gray...
tumbled across the bright blue skies...
but I had a LOT to do...



I used to look forward to having not 1, but 2...[!]
3 day weekends, in successive weeks, in February, when I taught...

sometimes, we had a 4 day week end...which never seemed as good...

no, I really looked forward to having 2, 3-day weekends in a row...

[I know, it's like brown eggs, same difference...
we already knew that I'm a bit, uh... different...
so just get over it...]

but, I digress...

my first chore was to capture the Piglet...
endure endless abusive language from her...
and take her to the vet for her rabies shot...
and the more urgent, "depo" shot...

she had started being clingy & acting like eating,"hurt"...
always a signal that the lesions in her mouth had returned...
and her last depo [steroid]shot, which reduces the swelling...
and helps the lesions heal so she can eat & be pain free...
had been in August, so it was clearly, time for another shot...

the real trick would be catching Lacy...
who also gets the lesions & had her last shot in September...
she was elusive, drooling and very guarded about her mouth...
a sure sign of her tongue lesions reappearing...

I had treated her for an upper resp. infection in December...
using the last of my amoxicillin stash...
and activating the "mom avoidance"circuitry in her feline brain...
so she had become very stealthy, almost invisible...

I left the bathroom door open, sink water turned on...
and guess who I trapped trying to slink out ?

you got it, so I had my 2 "victims", and was on my way...



I hadn't been there for a while, so we visited a bit...
the girls got their shots, an exam [all seemed well...]
and I got to refill my stash...



after depositing a couple of really annoyed kitties back at home...
[Piglet got her revenge this AM by gashing me when I was half awake...]
I drove over to have the battery in my watch replaced...
she said that she could probably mend my favorite Celtic knot ring...
that the emergency room doctors had to cut off...
of my dislocated finger last year...

then I went over to check out the garden section of OSH...
because I was really tired of looking at this...



my annual containers full of dead summer plantings...

at OSH, I found 6 packs on sale...



and after cruising the entire bedding plant area...
found the Johnny jump-ups I wanted...



I got 6 of the 6 packs, getting the healthiest I could find...
and took them home...

I also found some nice oregano, dill & a 6 pack of variegated Swiss chard...

on my way home, I stopped at DP for cat food...

the dry food was on sale [$2 off each 16 lb bag]
I got 4...[this used to be the same price for 20 lb bags...]
but this premium stuff is better for them...
and there are no other issues with my usual brand...

since they had the flavors I buy of canned food in stock...
I got 4 cases of the little cans & 4 of the 13's too...
got them loaded into the car, came home...
and sweated for 20 minutes carrying & storing cat food...

then, it was "play time"...



a total of 5 containers got replanted with Johnny jump-ups...
the oregano, dill & Swiss chard went in containers in the back...

while I was in the back, I picked 2 blood oranges & 1 lime...



meanwhile, the Meyer lemon tree needs picking...



the front porch needs cleaning...
the roses need pruning & feeding...
the leaves need raking & bagging [that'll stir up some allergies...]
and the front yard, [aka the wilderness tundra...] needs mowing...

*sigh*

which is probably why I spent today[Saturday]...
writing blog posts...

No comments: