Friday, March 26, 2010

...spring has definitely sprung, part 3

winter is definitely gone...
and last summer, a distant memory...



there are, however, some lingering memories from last summer...
very dead tomato plants...



and the bean poles, covered with dead vines...
these will have to be removed before any planting happens...



elsewhere, the cherry tree is finally in full bloom...



the peach tree bloomed with the first warmth...
and is now setting fruit...



the apple tree has many buds, but won't bloom for a couple of weeks yet...



and the avocado tree is showing all sorts of new growth...
one of these days, I'm hoping for avocados...



the pomegranate tree is just showing leaves...
it takes more heat for it to bloom & set fruit...



and the lime tree is also showing setting fruit...



I will secure a few more heirloom tomatoes a bit later...
[these are yellow pear, sweet 100's, Beefmaster & 2 Brandywines...]
I can't afford the huge water bills like I had last summer...
so my garden will be smaller...

there will also be some beans, but probably not much else...



I planted some garlic & regular chives...



to go along with the Italian flat-leaf parsley & dill...



the rainbow chard I planted is doing well...



both the golden & the red will be ready to harvest soon...



and as for the green beans...
I am going this route this year to hopefully save some money...
the seedling pole beans are hard to find...
often in bad condition as well as pricey...

I found a packet of seeds for green, yellow & purple pole beans...
to go along with the scarlet runner beans I have from last year...
as well as the "normal" green ones I just bought...
so I'm hoping for a rainbow of colorful blossoms...
as well as beans this summer...

No comments: