Monday, September 22, 2008

...sometimes...you just need a nap day



sometimes...in the midst of all you have to do...
you are overtaken by a nap...

you had good intentions...
even a list...

and... it IS Monday, after all...

maybe it was because today was the start...
of MY favorite time of the year...

maybe it was lunch...
[or the Dos Equis I had with it...]

or the 2 out of the last 3 nights with little sleep...

or the feeling of accomplishment I had...
sitting in the back yard...
grilling the marinated lamb...
at a cleaned off patio table...
enjoying "fall"...

whatever the contributing factors...
I have just "napped" the day away...

there were SO many years that I went to school [work]...
even when I was exhausted or feeling lousy...
because I had NO choice...

it wasn't that I was so special as to be irreplaceable...
it was just more work than it was worth...
to set-up a sub and then clean-up the mess...
and professional musicians who miss rehearsals or gigs...
don't get paid... and often don't get hired again...

during the last 5 or 6 years I taught...
[after the surgery... I was always tired...]
one of the guys in our brass quintet retired from teaching...

when we rehearsed, which was often, as we were busy...
the rest of us "working stiffs"[active teachers...]
kept kidding him about "all the time he had, being retired..."
"how the only places he had to go were the post office...
and the barber shop..."
always a laugh, since he was "follicle-ly challenged"...

he would laugh & say...
"just wait...time is like money...
you spend what you have..."

I now know how right he was...
the day can really "get away from you"...
like today... with this "nap" thing...

[yawn]

I still have that "nap headache"....
I've had it for the last day or so...
more weather change in my sinus, I guess...

[yawn]

since I'm now retired...
and have the time to nap...
I guess I'll go check for the mail...
[I get my hair cut on Friday...]

maybe I'll go to bed early tonight...

[y-a-w-n]

or maybe I'll take a short nap... before dinner...

[Y-A-W-N]



soundzzz good... zzzzzzzzzzz

No comments: