Friday, October 19, 2007

is red, by any other name as bright...?

...my nearly 80 year old "bungalow",(a variation on a Sears kit "Pendleton"), is a small (1100 sq ft+) English Tudor(brick with stucco and "half-timbering")built in 1931...I am the proud owner of hardwood floors, a fireplace and a breakfast nook...the crowning glory is the eastern facing living room/dining room,(about 35 ft long)...there are 3 French door windows in the dining room and the living room has a wall of windows also...this room is uncharacteristically large because someone in the houses' distant past removed the dividing wall between the two rooms, creating one large, bright space, anchored on the north by the fireplace and on the south by the always bright breakfast nook,which being the corner also has a southern window as well as an eastern "bay"...since I retired, [June,2005],I've been "working" at redecorating...Mom's illnesses and subsequent death(Jan.2007) have not only interupted my progress, but often have brought it to a halt... not to mention the influx of Mom's stuff I needed to keep, added to my own clutter....argh...!...but thanks to some friends[Miz Minka & Mr Greenthumb], I've been able to make some inroads....I have a carpenter coming to fix the closet door hinge[as soon as the new one gets here,of course,it's on 'back order']he will also install the custom wood shutters I've had for the nook for over a year...and next week another friend will be helping me get the stuff out of the dining room so we can clean the floors and prepare to paint...in the past , I painted the ceiling,walls and woodwork all the same color[beige]...I liked the way the light in the fall and winter made a cozy "peach-y" glow...but when I painted the nook and kitchen[as part of a re-model 2003-4],my love of "earth tones" took over, so I used a sunny yellow in the nook and pumpkin in the kitchen,with a creamy ceiling and woodwork and a dark red accent wall that faces the southern exposure...it took me weeks to find that red and 3 coats over primer to make it "right"...now, I've been using the tools at Benjamin Moore.com to find colors[you can paint walls and see how it looks under certain light situations...very cool]...of course when I go to the BenM store,I find small sample bottles and that the red I love comes only as exterior paint...[I want interior "satin"] all other reds are too much of a compromise, but I have no choice...so I buy a couple of quarts of 2 shades of red and a sample of another[I want a deep red ,the kitchen red isn't right for the DR"light",not too purple or too brown...or too orange...like ruby port....],as well as other tan-ish/beige-y colors for the other 3 walls,ceiling off white,woodwork creamy white and the madness continues...at OSH... I find 2 promising reds, so I get a quart of each.... I know it will take at least 3 coats to get the true color and different tans go with different reds...and I need to do this without making the woodwork look yellow or the ceiling look gray....this is going to be almost as much fun as my last mammogram or pap test...this kind of frustration is probably why I painted everything beige before...but I'm sure that all this fun is only the opening salvo...I'll probably change my mind a number of times before I lose it [my mind, that is...]...stay tuned...

2 comments:

DearestDragonfly said...

Keep the faith...and the vision!! The artistic process that leads to a paint store...with such promise...is never an easy journey and (in my experience) includes many 'oops, how did that happen??? and lots of cans littered about the basement.

Serendipity sometimes rescues...

We did end up letting a painter paint over the 'Peony Pink' (dubbed pepto bismal by some realtors) - this in a reaction by our realtor to a couple choosing Ribarsky's freshly painted monochrome house across the street over ours. And - guess what: the people buying ours saw it many many times...many of them with Peony Pink on the walls and it wasn't the new paint that made them commit to buy. It was probably the 'we're competing with the foreclosure market' price they finally got it for!

catsinger said...

...I remember that when you first announced your intent to paint with "Peony Pink", I blurted-out something to the effect that most realtors advised against "strong personal paint statements"...I was always sorry I said that , after I realized how much you loved that color...I found my red{Dutch Boy "Deeply Red"...it is glorious...also I have the "perfect beigy-gray" ceiling paint[BMoores "Malton"] the perfect wall color with the red[BMoores "sepia tan"] and am using BMoores "cameo white "on the trim...I also used it for ceiling/trim in the breakfast nook[BM"yellow raincoat"] and kitchen[BM"harvest moon"{a pumpkin creme}with BM"spanish red " accent wall...since you look into the nook from the LR/DR, it made since to me to use the same trim