Monday, September 28, 2009

...a "note-worthy" day



this coming Sunday, after a short service music rehearsal...
we unveil the 2009 Lessons & Carols music to the choir...

BLT & I have spent quite a bit of time searching...
listening, reviewing, doing & re-doing the list...
UnklePhil compiled a demo CD before he left on vacation...



the demo CD, as well as one selection that's on my computer...
are ready to play on Sunday...the only thing yet to do ?
organize and arrange the music...
so for the last few days, I've been working on the "book"...



we purchase enough originals for each singer...
but I've found that working from copies...
which is legal, since we bought the originals...
is better... easier for the singers in many ways...

I print the copies "larger", with editorial markings...
I can also change the page orientation if there are nasty page turns...
but the best idea I "borrowed" from "pit orchestras" & church musicals...

I create a "book" with carefully mapped-out page turns & notes...
completely in order, with page numbers & a "TOC"...
that contains all 12 choral pieces, 9 readings & 3 congregational hymns...
then I make a copy for each singer, plus a couple of extras, punch holes...
and pass out a complete book to each singer...

this saves SOOO much rehearsal time...
passing out 1 bundle instead of 12...
[having the hymns & readings,"in place"...
also means no juggling of a thick bulletin & the music...
during the service...]

most notes & comments are in place, all is "in order"...
there's no,"I don't have that piece"..."I'm missing a page"...
and finding a starting point is easy with sequentially numbered pages...
all the singers need to do is put the "book" in their binder...
listen to the CD and learn the music...

the only "catch" ?

someone,[that would be me...] has to "make" the book...



I started with "clean" music, then copied it...
enlarging it from 110 to 115 %, single sided...
then I spend time putting in rehearsal letters if needed...
marking staves[parts], notating tempo changes...
deciding on page turns, putting in comments...
& marking pronunciations in the "usual" places...
[ie Is-RAY-el, not Is-RYE-el...]
so that we can avoid those nasty nasal vowel sounds...

using the readings and hymns from last year's book...
I "whited-out" page numbers & other unnecessary markings or notes...



then using my L&C 2009 proposed order page...
I worked my way through deciding on page order...
then placing page numbers on the pages & on my order page...

having done that, I re-wrote my proposed order page...
as the "TOC" page, with all pages listed...
for all choral music, readings & hymns...



then I printed-out a copy...

tomorrow, I'll put all the single-sided pages as double sided...
[a lot of exacting work...]

then we can begin the "print" phase...
and hopefully be ready for the rehearsal Sunday...

I love it when a plan comes together !

No comments: