Monday, June 21, 2010

...more good things, while waiting

this is a "Flood Plain" map for SJ County[in which is located Mudville]



all that dark blotchy stuff near the middle is Mudville...

though I was unable to find a larger or clearer map...
this is what it shows by the gradation of gray...

A*
Area subject to 1% annual chance (100-year) flood; no Base Flood Elevations determined.
AE*
Area subject to 1% annual chance (100-year) flood; Base Flood Elevations determined; flood depths generally greater than 3 feet.
AH*
Area subject to 1% annual chance (100-year) flood with flood depths of 1 to 3 feet (usually areas of ponding); Base Flood Elevations determined
AO*
Area subject to 1% annual chance (100-year) flood with flood depths of 1 to 3 feet (usually sheet flow on sloping terrain; average depths determined.
X (500)
Areas of 0.2% annual chance (500-year) flood; or areas of 1% annual chance (100-year) flood with average depths of less than 1 foot or with drainage areas less than 1 square mile.
X (LEVEE)
Areas protected by levees from the 1% annual chance (100-year) flood.
X
Areas determined to be outside the 0.2% annual chance (500-year) floodplain.

*Mandatory flood insurance requirements apply.

notice, please, that there are 4 areas...
where it is mandatory to maintain flood insurance...
and three, where it is not...

in January of 2009, the powers that be decided that "the sky was falling"...
and re-drew the "100 year Flood Plain" to include my house...
as I was preparing to shell out $400 to renew the mandatory insurance...
I decided to check & see if anything had changed...

and it had ! [notice the italicized portion above...]

My house is in an area now deemed,"X [Levee]...
and as such, does NOT, [any longer], require flood insurance...
saving me $400 !...

I've lived there for 22 years now and this was the 2nd time...
that flood insurance was required of me, so we'll see...



saving $400 is good, since I just had to spend $500[deductible]on my car...
looks good though & I'm glad to have it back again...

this morning I dropped off the last of 2 job applications at DPet...
I've mailed the VOPU ones and am waiting for results...

I started walking again, though I have to take it easy until 7/4...
when I get off the 500 calorie a day plan & the drops...
and go to the 1500 calories a day, no drops plan...
that needs exercise for it to work...

what I've discovered is that my new walking shoes from 2008...
are now too big[10.5 D] and were creating a problem...
so I went in today to get some smaller shoes...
having moved from 11 EEEE at my heaviest...
now down to 10 D...



I kind of like the look too...
the last ones were silver & red, a bit flashy for my taste...

I also discovered that there are special inserts for my Birkies....
that allow them to absorb shock better...
& to fit more precisely, now that my foot is not so big...

so all in all, a profitable day...

No comments: