Tuesday, June 1, 2010

..."déja-vu", Piglet style, epilogue



yesterday, in the late afternoon...
after prowling the yard...
in search of more mousely prey, no doubt...
Mz Piglet,[aka Mighty Hunter & Queen of the Back Yard]
returned to my bedroom to smooze & be petted...

I took advantage of her cuddly moment...
to have a serious talk with her...
[all of which she totally ignored...]
re. the captured mouse she'd "released" under my bed...
as I'd seen a few furtive glances by her towards shadows...
for I suspected that the mouse was alive & well...
& would reappear soon...

as the evening wore on...
the furtive behavior increased...
& I was convinced that the mouse was "on the move"...
so I tried again to admonish Pigs...

me:"...now, don't get carried away... let the mouse be..."

her:"...there's an interloper in MY bedroom !"

me:"...just relax..."

her:"...what was that?"

eventually, I dropped off to sleep...
no easy task with Pigs charging back & forth over me...
investigating every little noise or shadow...
stepping on my hair... jumping on my stomach...

in the wee hours of the morning, I jolted awake...

hearing Pigs making her chirping noises...
& feeling her towards the foot of my bed...
doing her "kicking with her hind legs" thing...
so I sat up & turned on the light...

it was 4:06 AM...

and there, laying next to Pigs...
squeaking when she kicked at it...
was the mouse, now quite the worse for wear...

so I reached for a tee shirt...
which I then used to snatch the mouse away from Pigs...
I carried it to the window while Pigs searched the bed for it...
opened the window, then the small cat door in the screen...

telling the mouse,"you can thank me later..."
I tossed it outside, hoping that it would be able to recover...
though there was a tiny drop of blood on the shirt...
which doesn't bode well for the mouse...

after closing the window...
I turned to the confused Piglet...
who was still looking for the mouse on the bed...
and attempted to console her...

it didn't take long before she was sound asleep...
snoring in my ear & drooling...
her paws twitching as she dreamt of mousies...
and of catching & shredding each & every one of them...

No comments: