Thursday, April 15, 2010

..."Say Kids,....."



nope...not anymore...

today, is TAX TIME...
[though Doodyville, with all it's lunacy might be easier to deal with...
than the angst I develop around April 15...]



and since last year, I actually had to PAY the state...
I'd been procrastinating as only I can do...
though I did have some help organizing my records...
[my own "purr-sonal" "pee-nut gallery", so to speak...
that is, they will pee on anything I need to keep...]

Mz Sneaky Pie knocked over & scattered all my papers...
then both she & MJ got that, "what can I do next?" look...



so I took the piles of paper into the bedroom to sort...
but after being "helped" there by Piglet AND Fluff...
[they have quite the unique sorting /filing system...]
I gave up & took all I could find to the church...
where I could, "spread out" in peace...
and go online for copies of records I needed...

now Jesus told us...



and I have no problem with "doing my share"...
my issues are with all the folks with a LOT of money...
who are able to avoid paying anything...
when I have a VERY fixed income & haven't yet found a paying gig...
[I believe that God will provide for my needs...
but that's a different, far less snarky, post...]

so last year, because of my severe financial problems...
I had to access/drain savings & investment accounts...
and because these were tax sheltered annuities...
AND I didn't fully clean them out in 2008...
I had to pay taxes on the money I took out...
without getting any recoup on my losses...
even though I'd lost a bunch of my original investment...

my house was/is



AND since I am unemployed, I can't redo my mortgage until I get a job...

I was, in essence, quite...

not only having to pay the state for the first time EVER...
between the tax prep fee and the state tax bill...
it took the entire Fed refund, plus a bit...
to cover my debt to CA & HRB...

but that was 2008... this year, I killed off those accounts...



which had lost THOUSANDS of dollars of my original investments...



money I could really use now...

but, it was gone...
the markets have started a recovery, but my money is gone...
so once again, I knew I was...



with 2/3 months worth of money left...
now I'd have to pay taxes on the last of the money I'd used...
what I needed was a miracle...

my tax prep lady worked her way through the statements...
muttering about original investments, capital gains...
taxes I'd had to pay when I cashed-out the accounts...
then she showed me my "income" & my tax liability...

then she showed me my refund !
[about 2/3 months worth of living expenses...!]
and then she said that my "loss" of over $13,000...
had a cap of $3000 per year, so I would have 3 more years...
to spread the total loss, which meant I recapped some of my lost funds...



so instead of running out of money around July...
I may make it to September...
and hopefully, find a job BEFORE then...

I had thought the loan I got in January would last a lot longer than it will...

but there were several BIG expenses...
[property taxes, new glasses, annual insurance premiums, vet bills...]
and there are a couple to come...
[biannual car insurance premium, tax prep fee, home repairs...]

I, for one, would like to see some better deductions...
so those of us who have to pay self-employment tax on the little we earn...
might be able to keep more of it on a regular basis...

I don't know about your situation, but for me...



this, would be ideal...

No comments: