Thursday, May 15, 2008

...that old devil moon



when I taught jr high...
I wore a "moon phase" watch...
I wanted that little bit of warning...
because when the moon was "waxing"...
"they" were wacko...hyper...impulsive...
[more than usual, anyway...]

when I left home this morning to run errands...
I hadn't looked at the "moon phase" widget on my blog...
but I wasn't "out" amongst the masses long at all...
when I heard myself say, "the moon must be going full..."
and I was right...



drivers whipping in and out of lanes...
cars NOT signaling...[not new...]
then pulling right in front of me...
and my favorite...

the old teal blue Honda Civic hatchback
that slid through a stop sign to merge
in front of me...testing my breaks...
and then a "primer grey" doppelganger Civic...
who zipped past me on the left...
only to be stopped next to its teal twin at a light...

motors revving... I knew what was next...

then the light changed...
and off they charged...
racing east on Hammer towards Pershing...
neck and neck for a bit...

"teal" Civic quit first...
[he was behind anyway...]
allowing "primer" Civic to roar off
in a victorious cloud of smog...

I felt like Mr. Magoo...
hollering, "road hog"...
and shaking an impotent fist...
as I shook my head in disbelief...



I made it home safely...
and since the moon...
is only about 85% full as I write this...
I'm staying put for the next day or so...
avoiding the bumper car tournament out there...



because if there was one thing I learned
teaching jr high for more than 20 years...
it was that a waxing moon is worse than a full moon...
and a heat wave just exacerbates everything...
[it's supposed to be hot ( 100+) for the next 3 or 4 days...]

my sympathies to all you commuters out there...
watch out.... and stay safe...

No comments: