Monday, November 1, 2010

...our tax dollars at work [?]

I have voted by mail for years...

when I taught, it was just simpler...
no obscure garage/polling places to find in the dark...
no rushing to fit voting in between school & rehearsals...
no forgetting, then feeling bad...

so when I got the letter from the SJ County election office in September...
the one detailing how my precinct no longer had enough registered voters...
who actually came to the polling place to vote...
and that consequently, we would all have to vote by mail this year...

it made no difference to me...

when the ballot arrived, I sifted past the usual enclosures...
to get to what I had to actually fill-out...

there was this card, next to the envelope...


which I'd seen many times before...
and had even read a few times...


I turned it over & glanced at the back side...
but as I was about to toss it...
something caught my eye...


a bureaucrat with a sense of humor...
who would have thought it possible...

BTW: I would happily vote for any or all of the above...
before just about any professional politician...

[nota bene] if you aren't old enough to know about Mortimer Snerd...
he was the idiot foil to Charley MacCarthys' wise guy...
they were both "dummies" used by ventriloquist Edgar Bergan...
[Candice's father...] in his 1940's/'50's radio/TV act...

Bullwinkle J. Moose was "pulling rabbits out of his hat..."
to amuse Rocky[Rocket J. Squirrel]...
and confound Boris & Natasha [cartoon spies...]
on the "Rocky & Bullwinkle Show" of my youth...
[that would be the 1950's/early '60's]

if you are not quite as old as dirt [or me...]
you may remember Lily Tomlin's character, "Geraldine"...
the telephone operator with attitude on "Laugh-In" from the '60's...
and her signature,"...one ringy-dingy..."

if you don't know who[or what] Sponge Bob is...
you had to have someone else turn on your computer...
and find this blog...

No comments: