Thursday, November 18, 2010

...fall musings

it really is looking like fall now...


we've had a few nights into the 30's...
along with several periods of rain...
we even had a dense fog advisory this AM...
and there's a chill in the night air...


the lobelia is still happy...
[this bunch self-seeded from last year...]


the tomatoes are soaking-up the last really sunny days...


and the begonias I thought wouldn't make it...
are doing very well, indeed...


the trumpet vine has finally yellowed...
and will loose all its leaves with the next storm...


the southern-facing creeper is bare now...
sporting only red branches with the dark blue berries...
which the birds enjoy...


this branch of creeper is on my porch, so it's protected...
but it's fading fast too...


when I checked my pomegranates...
I discovered that rats had beaten me to most of them...
leaving several hollowed-out shells hanging on the tree...
I did get 4 that they hadn't gotten to yet...
but the score is rats 8, catsinger 4...

the score for apples was worse...


here you see an "apple core corpse"...
there was no sign at all of any of the rest of the 4 apples...
[rats 5, catsinger 0]

they got all of my peaches and cherries this year too...


the winter whites are coming up...
if I move them to the front...
they may bloom...
they generally don't bloom in the shady back yard...


the Christmas cactii are already blooming...
I'll move them in front soon...


the camelia buds are forming...


new wild violets are coming up...


and the last of the summer roses turn to the sun...
while they still can, as do we all...
for the cold and darkness will come very soon...
and we need to soak up as much of the warmth and the light...
as we can, to see us through until spring...

No comments: