Tuesday, November 2, 2010

...another nice surprise

my only tomato plant has produced golf ball size fruit all summer...
[I'm planning to use some in a salad tonight...]
it sits on my front walk, in full sun...
next to the lemon tree...


and as you can see, early November finds it...
apparently on it's "last legs"...
what with the mini heat spell that crisped it...
and the passing "cool" snap & rains that pelted it...


the remaining green fruit has been scarred by wind-blown debris...
and one small fruit has rot on it...
here in the best sun, I may be able to let the rest vine ripen...
unless there's a hard frost...
in which case I may try moving the entire plant, indoors...
quite a different concept for me...
but this variety is intended to be a "counter-top" plant...

I just have to find the right light for it...

the fact that I'm considering moving it inside...
is motivated by not only by my curiosity to see if I can keep it alive...
but by the fact that it seems to want to keep producing fruit...


there are new leaves sprouting...


also blossom buds have re-appeared...
these are closed tightly...


but these have opened...

and every tomato grower knows that it takes warm nights to set fruit...
which are non-existent now, outside...
but could be "simulated" inside...


it's a mystery to me that this blossom seems to have set a fruit...
despite all odds being against its doing so...
so I think that I'll go find a sunny spot in my LR window for it...
and see what happens...

No comments: