Friday, September 10, 2010

...a walk around the block



a walk around my neighborhood at this time of the year...
gives pause for thought...

fall is on the way...

you can sense it in the angle & clarity of the light...
smell it in the dampness of the early morning air...
hear it in the honking of unseen waterfowl...
as they make their journeys, south...
and feel it in the thickening fur of the kitties...



my tomatoes are starting to ripen a bumper crop...
here, they will often set into October...
and it's not unusual to harvest the last ones just before Thanksgiving...
though to most, they speak of lingering summer...



as do Morning Glories, still showing dew drops...
after 10 AM because the sun hadn't gotten there yet...



and to me, nothing says summer more than lantanas...
we had a huge, southern-facing, bed of them on the ranch...
haven for hummingbirds, giant moths & Swallowtail butterflies...
always killed by frost, but returning every spring...
to explode with color in the hottest months...



and the summer roses...

mine weren't pruned on time or properly fed this past year...
so they haven't been too showy...
unlike these I found along my way...



and then there's the creeper...

every day, a few more red leaves...
it has me hoping for a real show this year...
especially if we can avoid an "Indian Summer"...
our overnight lows are dipping down to the low 50's already...

it won't take much to paint the entire creeper red...
so I'm keeping my fingers crossed...

No comments: