Tuesday, May 25, 2010

...the return of the ring

I realize that this title is a bit theatrical...
but I'm very happy with this result...
so I'm feeling expansive...



on Dec.27,2008, I was wearing my favorite ring...
a silver Celtic knot band...
that I bought in Reno, probably 20 years ago...
when my finger suffered the double dislocation & ligament damage, ...

at the ER, they had to cut the ring off...
making a pressure diamond cut in the spot...
where there were only 2 thin loops to cut through...
just as the swelling was causing a discoloration to set in...
& just before it cut off all circulation...

so even though I thought that I might someday have it mended...
I knew, as the repaired joint was now larger...
that I'd probably never be able to wear that ring...
on that finger again...

and since it had not fit any other fingers...
& was too small for my left thumb...
I just let it sit, broken, in a tray...
and resigned myself to wearing other things...

a couple of months ago, I had gone into a watch repair shop...
for a new watch battery & seeing the sign for jewelry repairs...
asked the woman who worked there if she could repair my ring...
when she said she could, I placed it in my car's change tray...

after going there several times when they were closed...
I finally found them, "open"...
and dropped it off last week while running errands...

yesterday, after a call that it was ready, I picked it up...



you can see where she soldered it...
then she rounded it out & polished it...
$25... & it's as good as new...



it even fits back on the repaired finger...
even though the joint has a lump on the side...
it still fits easily...

what a nice surprise !

definitely, a good thing...

2 comments:

theponderpool said...

That's wonderful! Does the knot symbolize something, or is it more sentimental?

I had a very meaningful ring that I bought for the second joint of my left ring finger -it was supposed to represent balance in relationships... then I lost it! It's been about a year since I lost it and I still haven't decided if I should buy a new one.

Any thoughts?

catsinger said...

...hi ponder & welcome...
the Celtic Knot is an "Eternity" symbol & it has sentimental meaning also since I was with my soulmate, who I'll never see again in this life, when I bought it...
for me, wearing rings has always meant something...if you find something you love to replace the one you lost, then by all means, go with it...
"everything happens for a reason"
take care, CS...