Monday, May 31, 2010

..."déja-vu", Piglet style

the moon has been full...
creating a primal surge in the Piglet...



she is always desirous of being, "out"...
and is NOT in the least bit shy...
when informing me of her "needs"...

LOUDLY... obnoxiously... continuously...




she considers it her right, as a feline, to prowl & inspect...

but especially, to "hunt"...



hiding the weeds & grass, in the guise of napping...
until prey comes into her "hunting area"...
the fact that she is, "toothless" & can't "dispatch" her prey...
is of NO concern to her & probably would not occur to her...

my backyard, has much in the way of prey...
numerous rodents, birdies, grasshoppers & praying mantis...
any number of which, have been prey at one time or another...

captured, brought inside, chirruping her,"look what I did" call...
to be presented & displayed on my bed...
in various states of injury or decomposition...

so she could be fêted by me for her prowess & cunning...
and to flaunt them before Fluff who doesn't hunt anymore...



mice, even rats are nothing new on her prey list...
but since she had her teeth pulled about 2 years ago...
to heal the lesions in her mouth...
she'd only caught a grasshopper...
bringing it into my bed room, loosing interest...
& leaving me to catch & return it to the backyard...

yesterday afternoon, she bounced back in...

I should have known something was "up"...
because she was making noises...
but I was laying on the bed, reading, so I didn't look...

suddenly I was aware of something bumping into my leg...

it was a rather large mouse, quite alive & active...
with Piglet pouncing on it while Fluff watched...
Piglet "tossed it in the air"...then grabbed it...

as it squeaked, Fluff chirped, Pigs pounced...

& I reached for my camera...

then she tossed it on the floor...
and in a flash both she & Fluff were under the bed...

silence...

no rustling, squeaking or growling...
and since between both Piglet & Fluff...
they have a grand total of 1 tooth...
no crunching either...



I could only assume that the mouse had escaped under the bed...
as there is furniture to hide behind...
I only hope that a few days doesn't find me tearing apart my bedroom...
looking for a wee small corpse with a HUGE, nasty smell...

if things go well, the mouse will find its way back outside...

if it's stupid, it will find its way into the rest of the house...
where ALL the kitties have teeth & know how to use them...

after all, how smart can the mouse be...
if it allows a toothless cat to catch it...?

and more than once, I might add...

I just hope that the backyard mice have been put on alert...
that a toothless Piglet is NOT a harmless Piglet...



and if they don't want to take a "P" ticket ride...
[sorry, showing my age...]
they need to give the Piglet the deference she is due...
as "Queen of the Backyard"...

No comments: