Thursday, May 6, 2010

...more than a week after the storm



I took these pictures on 4/28, right after the storm passed through...
we've since had over a week of sunny, windy weather...
that has quickened the cycle for many blooms...
and caused an explosion of growth while I was "sick"...



I was laid low last Wednesday by a nasty headache & fever...
that would keep me in bed & "out of it" until Sunday...
when I got up long enough to go to church[I wasn't contagious...]
then it was back to bed until yesterday[Cinco de Mayo...]
when it was "trash day" again, besides the rehearsal I had to go to...

the floor lamp by my bed had broken & had to be replaced...
[the only other light is a switch by the door...]
so after crawling around untangling cords...
& inadvertently unplugging everything in the process...
the old broken lamp went out in the hall...

I was able to move my bed out of the way..
& sweep up the debris I found...
receiving a great deal of assistance from Piglet...
Fluff just curled-up in her nest & continued her nap...

then, I unplugged, cleaned & moved in a lamp from the LR...

it is one of those full spectrum lamps...
& was my reading lamp by the rocking chair...

then spent about 15 minutes crawling around on the floor...
[something I don't do at all well anymore...]
trying to plug the swivel multi-plug into the wall...
underneath my beds' bookcase headboard...
sweat dripping off my nose & knees calling me nasty names...

finally, after way too much messing around...
the plug, just*went*in & I dragged myself up off the floor...
listening to the reassuring whirring sounds from my airbed's compressor...
as well as the phone beeping it's reconnected status...
then I reset my clock radio, twice...
[it has a daylight savings time button...
which you have to press before you set the time...]
and reset the radio presets...again...
[there were power outages during the storm...
which had just me re-setting everything...]

after collecting trash, cleaning out the 'fridge & cat boxes...
I deposited all the trash, etc, and the dead lamp...
in my trash can & rolled it out to the curb...
greeting my neighbors across the street...
before limping back inside to lay down before the rehearsal...

the rehearsal went well enough...
considering that my fever came back...
and my concentration powers were not at all at their best...
but we set a couple of rehearsal dates...

which was not easy since SilverSop is now in a play...
that rehearses constantly from the last week of May...
all during June and runs weekends from mid June through mid-July...

TrumpetMan umps at softball games which are now proliferating...
but his schedule isn't set yet...
etc., etc., etc....

not too stressful, since we also have no performances scheduled yet either...

so I'll practice the bass recorder & try to get well...
it was fun to just get together & sing...
there is so much responsibility involved with what I do at the church...
I don't often get to just, sing... & it is such a fun thing for me...
to just, SING...

we are currently singing only 4 part songs, as MM is busy with school...
so I'm doing my best to stand-in for her...
as she is the default alto in 4 part songs...
but we'll all be glad when she returns...

in a group this small, one person's contributions are really important...
and when they are not there, missed by all...
& M knew this 4 part music very well, so they have to get used to me...
which is a bit of a learning curve for us all...

the 5 part music is so much more complex, musically...
that it's nice to have the option to include both 4 & 5 part songs...

we've been working on a couple of our lively 5 part songs...
reduced down to 4 voices...
[Sing We & Chant It, My Bonnie Lass & Counterpoint of the Animals]
they sound & work, OK...
if you don't know the music as well as we do...

this doesn't work for the really gooshy ones like The Silver Swan...
so for those we have to have 5 voices...

so when I returned home after the rehearsal last night...
I noticed that someone had swept up all the leaves in my driveway...
and the ones in the street in front of my house...
put them in the refuse bin & placed it in the street next to my trash can...

I don't know which nice neighbor helped me out...
but I do appreciate it very much...
as between fever & sore back, I haven't gotten very far doing it myself...

I can tell now that I need to go home & lay down...
so I will...

No comments: