Wednesday, May 20, 2009

...ISP -less, in Mudville

yes... I did talk to "tech support"...[in India...]

more than once...and once was more than enough for me...



yes... I unplugged everything...[several times...]
plugging it back in several times...

all this was after I had begun by carefully unpacking the DSL box...
identifying ALL the parts...
READING the instructions carefully...[several times...]



I did encounter a couple of problems...

the phone jack box nearest the computer fell apart...
and needs to be rewired...

I stretched the phone line from the wall phone jack in the kitchen...
plugged in everything...and all the lights lit on the modem...
uhhh... except the "Internet" one...
[tech support said that it should be "on"...
implying some grievous genetic problem on my part as the cause...]

and the program/software reported,"failure"...



so I repeated all the steps with all the same results...
[tech support,"it should be working, ma'm..."]

I have an ADT system hard wired into my phone line...
but that hasn't been a problem before...
[I did have "dial-up"once...]

I also have a Mac...
but all my research on that subject has not indicated a problem...
or a solution...

it has occurred to me as I gain experience on my MacBook Air...
which is running the same OS as my home computer...
that it is different...

my MacBook Air has an Intel chip...
my home Mac has a Mac chip...
so perhaps the new Mac [Intel] chip is required to operate the DSL...

when I get home, I'll try to fool around with my MacBook...
it doesn't use an Ethernet cable...but rather a USB connection...
I think I saw one in the DSL box...my MacBook has 1 USB2 port...
but one is all I need if it works...

that would tell me what I need to add to my 2001, dual processer G4 cpu...
[which worked just fine on broadband, thank you very much...]
I already knew that I needed to add a USB 2 port[it only has USB 1...]
but I don't think that I can add the Intel chip...
and I can't afford to replace a perfectly good, working system...

I'd go back to broadband from Comcast[for $60 p/mo]...
before I could spend a cool $2500 on a new Intel "cpu"...

I need to fix this situation soon...
it's inconvenient & annoying...
not to mention that I'm paying for a service I can't hook up...
and that... is getting old...fast...

hopefully...I'll find a solution...
before I have to resort to this...

No comments: