Tuesday, May 26, 2009

...finally...the edibles are in !

from a couple of days ago...



the sheer enormity of my task...
caused me to be incapable of action for several days...
[the pain from tomato & etc planting didn't help...]
finally, the gusting winds broke a couple of plants...
and after replacing them...
I made myself do it on Memorial Day...



and after a fairly short time...
I was done...
[at least I was smart enough to do the worst, first...
the hardest, next...
& left this easy bit for last...]



I was lucky enough to hear of the 2 for 1 sale on herbs at OSH...
and was able to stock up on mint...

I used to have tons of it growing all over...
but since I didn't water it last summer, it died out...
so I really wanted to replace it...



here you see some new mint...
next to the last remaining plants[on the right...]



this is "peppermint"...
planted in containers where it used to flourish...



and here, I've put "spearmint" in the box...
that held the spinach & lettuce, before the heat wave...



another chore involved back seeding more pole beans...
since they will often get burnt & stop producing...
a succession of maturing plants creates a thicker shade...
and a longer harvest...

I was very happy to find my favorite "scarlet emperor" runner beans...
at a local seed store[living in a farming area has its perks...]
I love seeing the scarlet flowers along with the regular white ones...
I used to be able to find yellow too...
but these days, all the odd colors are only in the "bush" form...



the bell peppers,[green,yellow & red]...
are growing well & should start blooming soon...



as are the tomatoes & beans...



especially the beans, which are almost ready to start blossoming...



and if the cherry tomatoes get much taller...
I'll have trouble reaching the fruit...

No comments: