Friday, February 24, 2012

...late breaking good news


The good news is that Lucyfur, who gave us a real scare on Wednesday, is responding to the IV treatment at the vet. She is eating, drinking and up & about, so I get to bring her home this afternoon.
I took her in for irritated eyes and on closer inspection, the vet showed me the jaundice. Her eyes, [beyond the inflammation], ears, tummy and gums were yellow. We decided to give her,"a chance", because she hadn't given up yet, [she kept fighting to get back into her carrier] and even though I knew that she'd lost weight, this had just happened over a couple of days since I thought that she had a kitty cold.
This is costing $355, [that's the most I could justify spending], but I consider it worth it since she has responded so well. We don't know how long it'll be before the liver starts to have problems again, but at least she has this time, now...


Time to snooze in front of the fire with her buddies who have missed her...


On other fronts, spring seems to be "springing" rather early this year.


The Meyer lemons have finally gotten enough water to get the right size...
and there are even a few blossoms starting to open. Trees everywhere around are blooming, making my allergies bloom too.


I found these cherry tomato seedlings at OSH. A "Sunsweet" and "Sweet 100"...
just what I wanted to put into my front porch container. They seem to like it there and I get a lot of tomatoes for the water & effort. I tried a smaller regular garden last year. It was a waste of effort, since I can no longer afford to water enough and the big oak shades the yard most of the day. So a small container of tomatoes is about my speed. I also have some herbs on the porch that do well. I may expand the front garden if I get so inclined.


Of course, I couldn't resist these "johnny jump-ups"[violas]. They will do well here until it gets into the 80's regularly, then I replace them with portulacas which take even the hottest days. I was hoping to plant the "johnny jump-ups" in December, as they don't mind cold, but didn't go looking for any since I was having to be so careful with money. To fill these 2 big containers cost about $11.


I never got around to cutting back the roses and they are all showing new growth. The creeper is still "asleep", however...


As you can see, it still has quite a ways to go before its buds even begin to swell.

No comments: