Friday, October 22, 2010

...better than the alternative


well that day is here again, sigh...
not that I'm really complaining...
because having another birthday is always better...
than NOT having one...

it's just that I'm increasingly aware of "milestones"...

when I was a kid, there were always milestones to reach...
and you "couldn't wait"...

to be 10, 13, 16, 18, 21...
and to receive the privileges that being 16[whatever] afforded...

and there are the "big" birthdays...
30... 40... 50... 55... 60...

and this year's number, 62...

now I can apply for Social Security benefits...
at 65, I get to apply for Medicare...

somehow, it's not as much fun or nearly as cool, as it was...
to get to ride my bike on the road [10]...
become a teenager [13]...
get my driver's license [16]...
buy cigarettes [18]...
buy alcohol and vote [21]...
[yes, I'm THAT old, I couldn't vote until I was 21...]

and as grateful as I am for every day of my life...
the milestones that I now face...
create more apprehension than excitement...

but I know that God has plans for me...
and I do look forward to finding out what they are...
so I am grateful for all the days and years I've had...
as well as those left to me...

so I think that I'll get some change from my change jar...
and go get myself a birthday cake...
[Raley's has 2 layer cakes on sale for $9.99...
as well as pork roast for $.97 lb...]


let the feasting begin!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!

us300j

catsinger said...

thanks J...

Mousie and Christy's Mommy said...

Happy (Belated) Birthday, Catsinger! I was in Fresno at Convention on Friday and didn't get to read your post until this morning. We share an October birthday...I turned 65 on October 16th and I treasure that little Medicare card that came as a reward for making it this far!! But don't you know...the "60's" are the new "40's!" We are STILL young!!

May this year be filled with God's richest blessings in your life!

catsinger said...

...thanks M&CM... I did wish you a happy birthday on fbook...
ironically, I was born in Fresno, grew up on a ranch about 20 miles south... so getting several birthday greetings from Fresno was cool...
I just wish I still felt like I did in my 40's... thanks again...