Monday, August 27, 2012

...tomatoes, violets and avocados, oh my !


I've been watching these blooms through the heat wave and I think at least one of them has set a tomato. This is a hopeful sign...


because now that it's cooled off, there are several clusters of buds blooming...


but there are only 2 tomatoes left on the vines, which have yet to be harvested and enjoyed...


At this point, most of the branches have only the stems left where I've gathered the sweet summer bounty...


The volunteer asparagus fern has a sibling...so if I thought one was amazing given the heat wave and the frilly look of the fern, 2 are quite remarkable...


Inside, the new Af. Violets are settling in quite well...


they are enjoying their new home and view of the changing creeper leaves, along with the avocado pits I've been attempting to grow into plants for a while now...


The avocado pits are all showing some kind of root growth...


with this one showing multiple roots, where the others tend to show only one big one...


This one is the oldest, a couple of months now, it has a large central root and long ago had the beginnings of a sprout that never came out from inside the pit...so I thought it was dead...


that is, until I moved it to place the new violets the other day and look at what I found... a sprout, reaching to the late summer sun. Maybe there's hope for them after all this time...

Perhaps for me too, "in old age, I bloom again..." Only God knows and He is good.

No comments: