Thursday, August 9, 2012

...meat loafing around


I found myself craving meatloaf the other day... not Mom's, which I have made for years, mainly, as a vehicle for consuming ketchup and to use in sandwiches. I think that it was the memory of a juicy,crumbly, bell pepper studded meal from my elementary school cafeteria days,[it was a country school and the cooks made everything from scratch...], that got me searching for a recipe that would go beyond the dense, pate-esque creation I'd always made.

just look at all those yummy bits of fresh veggies...
I wanted flavor and texture...so I began to search recipes online, looking for ones that would use a mix of different meats, as well as fresh veggies. I found my model recipe... and was stunned to see Martha Stewart's name on the recipe. But it had almost all of my desires, so I began to cook, using her recipe more as a template than as directions.
you have to imagine the carrots and celery grated, the onions, peppers and garlic minced... and the cilantro as not there at all...
I set the oven to preheat at 375˚ and proceeded to grate a young carrot and a leafy stalk of celery, after peeling them, [I also grated my finger, but that's NOT an essential ingredient in this recipe, so you can leave yours unmangled...] After rough-chopping half a yellow onion, half a green pepper and 2 large cloves of garlic, I minced them. MS suggested using a food processor for 30 seconds for all the veggies, I didn't want to go to all that trouble...
ground chuck
I used 8 oz[half pound] of ground chuck,[just the perfect beefy flavor, pour off the fat...], as well as 8 oz each of lean ground pork, lamb and turkey. I have left out the lamb when I couldn't get it, but the pork is essential for flavor, especially with the turkey.
ground turkey

ground pork

ground lamb


I lightly beat 2 eggs and mixed into the meat mixture than I had broken with my fingers and loosely stirred along with the veggies...

then I sprinkled about a cup of Progresso Garlic Herb bread crumbs over the loose mixture...along with a good shake of Pappy's 50% less salt seasoning...

a good cup, mixed with about a quarter cup of...

my all-time favorite mild mustard...

and lightly mixed-in with my fingers, being careful not to squeeze the mix...
then I gently put the mix into my loaf pan, making sure it had no voids but also watching the pressure that I was applying... I placed in the oven, at 375˚ for 1 1/2 hours. When I took it out, I poured off the fat from the chuck,[it was about a quarter cup...] and then flipped it out onto a plate to set-up.
even good cold...

I made a wonderful meal of a couple of pieces, accompanied by mashed potatoes, green beans, cooked red cabbage and cooked carrots. It was everything that I had hoped for! Tender and juicy, with great flavor! Best meatloaf ever!
You could even say, "It was a VERY good thing!"

No comments: