Thursday, September 20, 2007

it's always something...

with cats, you never know what's next... I would have bet a lot that "they" would never be able to tip over my heavy Kitchenade stand mixer, and I felt safe, storing it on the top of a cabinet in the "nook"....so, of course, I wander into the kitchen, after a blustry day/night, to find the mixer on the floor, surrounded by numerous jarred and canned goods that had been in a storage container on the counter, under the mixer's former perch.... the true miracle was that nothing was broken...not even a jar of pickles... I should have known something would be "up"...there was not a feline presence discernible , unusual for my first appearance out of the bedroom [usually an occasion for much meowing{begging} ,leg weaving{if you don't know this one, you don't know cats...} and leading me to the always empty, food dish...]  the silence was quite deafening[now that I look back...] and had I been more awake, I would have sensed the impending discovery of willful  cat distructiveness... it was one of those moments... Gettysburg, before Pickett's Charge, being in 10th grade and leaving a football rally on Nov.22,1963, at 10:30 AM,PST...or being a brontasaurus, munching a palm tree,looking up in the sky at the huge meteors plunging down...  the point at which life, as we knew it "changes" forever.... like the moment just before you hear the car running out of gas, the thumping of the flat tire, see the flashing light behind you or step in the nasty cat barf  [or worse...] ...at least these days, I don't discover their catly mischief as I'm trying to leave the house to get to work...nope , these days I have time to deal with it  [joy,rapture,bliss...]...the expensive NEW storage boxes that are now shredded[not 2 feet from a perfectly usable scatching tree...] ....the plant that becomes a "salad bar" [ignoring the wheat grass I purchased for their eating pleasure...] sigh... So after I put back the mixer and the food items, hoping the absence of strong winds would calm the little varmints ...I went back to bed...I needed a nap after all that...and who should come bouncing in the window but Piglet... "she-who-must-be-outside" and who lets me know it within 2 minutes of being unfairly incarcerated[it's dark and getting cold...] has come in to jump onto my stomach [oof !  a sneak attack...] , make beds [mit claws...] in my armpit, noodge [head-butt] my chin, drool on my chest , and finally, snore lustily in my ear...so much for my nap... my only question is : "why this nesting behavior today, at 9:30 AM ?"...I know cats are nocturnal, but every other day, when released from the unfair confinement of the house to the backyard[her rightful turf...], she goes outside, jumps up on the table or BBQ, "baths" herself ,in full view [fully orchestrated, on her part and NOT lost on me...], then stretches out and sleeps most of the day away...  morphing into a illusive figure only as the shadows lengthen, deepening into dusk...at which time ,she is like "Macavity, the mystery cat",..."not there..." ... sigh... I pity the people who know only a dog...how they miss-out on the constant shiftiness that is "cat".... how boring their lives ...how neat, orderly, un-broken and un-shredded their belongings...how free of cat hair their sofa, clothes and diet... how safe from barf, hairballs, shards of broken (fill-in space) and "other "hazards, [bio- and mental] their floors/feet.....and how empty their arms, laps and hearts... sigh... ever see that "got milk ?" commercial where the little old lady is taken-out by her kitties ?[she ran out of milk and tried subbing dry coffee creamer...they didn't "buy it"]...well, they've started to "gather", so I need to open a can...wish me luck...

2 comments:

Miz Minka said...

Great post, had me laughing out loud! However:

I pity the people who know only a dog...how they miss-out on the constant shiftiness that is "cat".... how boring their lives ...how neat, orderly, un-broken and un-shredded their belongings...how free of cat hair their sofa, clothes and diet... how safe from barf, hairballs, shards of broken (fill-in space) and "other "hazards, [bio- and mental] their floors/feet.....

As an experienced former dog owner, I disagree. No boredom! Stepped in plenty of dog poop, barf, had dog hairs on the sofa and on my clothes, tons of broken or chewed things. Dogs' claws can be quite painful when a pooch unexpectedly jumps on you and rakes your belly or legs. I had a dog that was an accomplished counter-surfer. Nothing was safe from her: tomatoes, bananas, dish rags or sponges with food smells on them. Dogs will roll in dead things or get nailed by a skunk (never met a get stupid enough to do that). And my dogs used to bring in much larger "presents" (i.e. dead possums) than my cats (mice or a lizard, phhhhhh, puny!). Just another perspective, catsinger. Even dogs have their day. Don't knock 'em until you've tried 'em, I say. ;)

catsinger said...

ahh, but I have had dogs, MM, and LEARNED from my mistakes[you listed them all so well..] living in the country, my black and white[picture Lucy] Aust. Shep. got nailed by a skunk[twice] and routinely rolled in anything dead...I've had a couple of other dogs..a German Shep. who pooped all over and a collie who could escape any Stalag ever devised...there is a "dogs who have drooled on me " story too, but later... suffice it to say, I learned from my mistakes...