Monday, March 14, 2011

...making lentil soup, once again


I've been asked to make soup again...
for the first mid-week Lenten supper at the church...
and there is no guess-work, it'll be lentil soup with sausage...
[for the complete recipe see this...]

I never used to think twice about going to the store & buying the "fixens"...
spending $60-70 was not the issue it has become at this point...
so last week, after Square Peg, "signed me up"...
to make soup for the first Wednesday evening...
[Lenten service/supper/movie...]
she told me to let her know what it cost...
and the church would pay for the ingredients...
[we are talking a triple batch here...]

so last week, I figured out the cost of what I didn't have on hand...
and mentioned it in passing, then got involved in "stuff"...
and didn't "follow through"...

so today, I realized that my car insurance premium was due...
and in checking my bank balance...
realized that I could pay for nothing else...
until after my SS check arrives on 3/23...

which would not be an issue except...

that I have to make soup on 3/16...
[and I had to buy the ingredients...]
and the car insurance premium will be taken out on 3/17...

doing both was not possible...

so I wrote myself a note to ask SPeg about getting a check...
figuring that if I asked today...
I might get it in time to shop on Wednesday...
putting myself in a time crunch...
since the soup had to start cooking by 2 PM to be ready...

when I walked into the church office this morning...
SPeg greeted me with a check !
which she had prepared last week after we talked...
but hadn't seen me to give it to me until now...

it was for exactly the amount I needed to get the soup makin's...

I was so stunned, I showed her my "to do" list...
with, "ask about soup $" at the top...
so we had a good chuckle about how God provides...
even when we forget to ask...

I went on in to do my online business...

I had just put $20 that I had collected from the choir for drinks...
into the bank to give my balance a bit of cushion...
since we next meet on 3/27 after church to rehearse...
I have plenty of time to restock the juice and water before then...
and I do get my SS check on 3/23...

but there was the issue of my cell phone bill...

after a couple of attempts to get them to change my "due date"...
I finally had reached the correct person...
and got them to change it to the 1st of each month...
it had been around the 24-28th, which always left me scrambling to pay it...

so it was a nice surprise to see...
that the only slightly larger payment...
[this month only, due to the change in length of billing cycle]...
would be taken out on April 1...
making my meager funds stretch even farther...

now, if I can get enough of a tax refund...
to pay for having the taxes done...
AND pay my property taxes [due 4/10, actually 4/11 this year]...
life will become much less stressful...

oh...

and when that lawyer finally calls me to sign the Chapter 13 papers...
that will be a big relief too...

God is Good, indeed...

No comments: