Tuesday, October 30, 2007

....down South, y'all...

...if you've never watched Paula Deen,Southern cook supreme, on the Food Network, or heard many "Southern" expressions, they can really catch you off guard...we've all heard",,busy as a long-tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs..." today, Paula got me with one I'ld never heard before..."busy as a cat covering it up..."...I rarely laugh out loud at the TV, but this was one of those moments...In 1977, I toured for 3 months with a musical group[40 total: singers,instrumentalists,techs...]...we had several Southerners from Georgia,Florida and TEXAS... the few from Texas were the most entertaining when it came to "original and colorful" turns of a phrase...it wasn't long before all of us[even the girl from Minnesota,don'ca know ?] were "fixin' to do this or that and just plumb tuckered-out when it was over, but pleased as punch to do it again...aside from my tour-mates, some of the more "interesting" ways to "talk Southern" include the phrases,"..well, butter my butt and call me a biscuit"...or .."put on your big-girl panties and get over it.."...so I recommend that if your life is spinning out of control...Stop !...and rest a spell, watch Paula talk[and cook] Southern...she is the genuine article and a vacation in a half-hour...y'all come back now, y'hear ?

No comments: